Welcome to the Independence High School
Counseling Department

Contact information:

Jennifer Cook, LPCC

Phone: (505) 338-4658 ext. 53834
Remind Code: MsCookIHS

Social Worker:
Shanae Satriana, LMSW

Phone: (505) 338-4658 ext. 53833
Remind Code: @SSATRI

The following is a list of mental health providers in the community:
 RRPS Mental Health resources.pdf

Google Classroom:

Counseling and Social Work Referral: 
If you need assistance, please complete this referral form and we will be in touch: 

Graduation Requirements:

24.5 credits* are required to graduate from Independence High School: English 4.0 credits (English 9, 10, 11, and 12)

Math 4.0 credits (1.0 credit of Algebra 2)
Science 3.0 credits (2.0 credits of lab science)
New Mexico History 0.5 credit Geography 0.5 credit World History 1.0 credit US History 1.0 credit Government 0.5 credit Economics 0.5 credit Health 0.5 credit Physical Education 1.0 credit Career/Workplace Readiness/World Language 1.0 credit Technology 0.5 credit
Electives 6.5 credits
Next Step Plan

*1.0 credit must be dual enrollment, distance learning/online (not credit recovery), or Advanced Placement.

State-mandated tests must also be passed for high school diploma.


Naviance - career, college, scholarships
sign in here

HS Senior Checklist 

Your senior year is an exciting and busy time. Use this guide to help you stay on track to take your next steps towards graduation and beyond.
Recommended steps:

Senior credit check: Review your PEP with your credentialing teacher and meet with your counselor for a senior credit check to make sure you are on track and know what you need to graduate. 

Credit recovery: If you need to earn extra credits to graduate on time, consider adding a 5th block or zero, earning work credits, taking summer school, enrolling in night school, or taking a dual enrollment class. See your counselor for assistance.

Next Step Plan: Tell your counselor what you want to do after high school. If you don’t know yet, let her know and she can guide you to figuring that out. Complete your Next Step Plan on Naviance (see link below).

College Applications: If you want to go to college, decide where you want to apply and start working on those applications. If you are unsure, your counselor can help guide you.

College Admissions Tests: Find out if you need to take an entrance exam for the college you are applying to. Most universities require you to take the ACT or SAT. CNM requires that you take a placement test called the Accuplacer. See your counselor for more information about taking these tests.

Financial Aid: If you plan to go to college, you need to complete the FAFSA for financial aid. You can start the FAFSA on October 1st or after by going to the federal financial aid website at 

ASVAB and the Military: If you plan to go into the military, you may take the ASVAB test at IHS in September or at any military recruiting office. If you would like to meet with military recruiters when they visit IHS, please let your counselor know.

Have a great year!!!  ~  Ms. Cook

Financial Aid

The 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid opens on October 1st at ww


CNM Scholarships

UNM Scholarships

Schumann Foundation (great local scholarship!!!)

Daniels Scholarship(open October 1st - November 15th)

Imagine America Scholarship

New Mexico Educational Assistance Foundation
(win a scholarship or other prizes just for completing your FAFSA!)